Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's been an eventful few weeks...

The bump grows exponentially!
The front view

Our baby girl giving us the thumbs up letting us know she is doing well!

One of the boys (baby b) He was sitting on his brother's face so we couldn't get a picture of baby A.

2 weeks ago I sat on the couch enjoying the first few days of retirement trying to see if I could feel the babies kick when I noticed that my stomach was sort tightening and then releasing. Concerned that these may be contractions I called my high risk dr after hours (5:30). They called back and said they were still there and to come in right away. I called Scott and told him I'm sure it's nothing so he didn't go with me. Well... I went in to check my cervix and it had shortened from 3.7 to 1.7 in a week and was funneling. In other words... not good. They told me they would be doing the second trimester anatomy scan to make sure all the babies are ok and then I would go across the street to be admitted to labor and delivery. All the babies looked good, now it was a matter of keeping them in.

At the hospital they put me on this horrible medicine called magnesium sulfate to stop the contractions. It basically relaxes all of the muscles in your body so I could barely function. I was admitted Tuesday night and on Thursday, April Fool's day, they did a procedure to put a stitch in my cervix to hold it closed. I was given a spinal and after some tears, I sucked it up and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I spent another few days in the hospital where they ran various tests and on Saturday afternoon I was finally discharged. That was big news since I had convinced myself I would be spending the rest of the pregnancy there.

At home I have been on strict bed rest. I lay flat all day on my side... even to eat! I'm only allowed up to go to the bathroom and shower every other day. My mom has been great. She comes over every day during the week while Scott is at work to help me out. Scott has been so wonderful especially considering this is his busiest time of the year. Luckily tax season is over this week so Scott will be able to spend more time with me at home.

Yesterday, we had our 19 week check up and everything was really good. My cervix was closed past the stitch at 3.07, which is great. So now I'm allowed to sit up to eat! I still am on bed rest, but he would like me to swim a little every day. So that was exciting. The babies all look great. Our one boy (baby b) is smaller than the other two so we need to keep our fingers crossed that he keeps on growing to catch up to his brother and sister! We go back again next week to check everything, but after an emotional few weeks things definitely look better. We're just taking it day by day and week by week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better. I've been thinking about you a lot and especially all day Saturday. I'm going to call you tomorrow. xoxo